Don’t Miss Wally Ice Fest Winter Fun at Lake Wallenpaupack 2019!
From annual festivals celebrating the season to winter sports, there’s always something fun and exciting happening at Lake Wallenpaupack. Come to Wally Ice Fest in the Northern Poconos Mountains for a weekend of winter sporting fun! Visitors and residents alike enjoy getting out and taking in the events, including the Pocono Pond Hockey Tournament, a Curling Demonstration, and the 26th Annual Ice Tee Golf Tournament. Fun and festivities take place on the weekend of February 9th and 10th, 2019!
Wally Lake Fest Pond Hockey Tournament
There is nothing better than playing hockey outdoors. The sport is famous for being difficult, but when played properly, on a frozen lake during the coldest days of the year, hockey rewards anyone who shows up. And for those that make it through the playoffs, they are rewarded with trophies. Little is required other than skates, stick, gloves, helmet, and some laughs. There will be four ice rinks placed on frozen Lake Wallenpaupack in front of The Boat House along with 2 ice rinks placed in front of Silver Birches Resort (near the golf). The Wally Lake Fest Pond Hockey Tournament is planned on both Saturday and Sunday!
- Registration is now open for Pocono Pond Hockey at 2019 Wally Ice Fest!
- The event is the weekend of February 9th and 10th, 2019.
- Includes: 50% off of Sister Event “Ice Tee Golf”
- Hospitality tent, bonfire, awards, cornhole, and activities
- 6 divisions of play with emphasis as an “adult” tournament, begins over 21 with various skill levels.
- The setting is atop frozen Lake Wallenpaupack near the dike at the northeastern end
Frequently Asked Questions:
- When are the games? Games will be scheduled for Saturday between 9 AM and 4 PM and Sunday between 9 AM and 2 PM. Although Sunday games do have the possibility to run much longer if more teams are entered into the Tournament. And for the same reason, Games may start earlier each day if more slots are needed.
- What happens if the tournament is canceled due to weather or other factors? Tournament directors will make all decisions on ice and weather safety. The WIF Pond Hockey Tournament is not liable for your team’s travel, such as, but not limited to air travel, lodging expenses, auto rental, and personal auto travel. If the event is canceled prior to the official start date due to weather or ice conditions, your team has two options: You may hold your team spot for a future Wally Ice Fest Pond Hockey Tournament or You may receive a refund.
- What is the playing format? Games are played 4-on-4 with NO GOALIES. Goals are pond hockey goals, not regulation ice hockey goals. No player is permitted to play goalie by standing in front of the goal the whole game, laying down in front of the goal, etc. There is no icing, off-sides, and penalties are rare.
- How long are games? Games are a 30-minute running clock with a 1-minute break after the first 15 minutes to change directions. Stoppages will be limited due to no icing, offsides, etc. All games must stay on time due to a hard stop at dark, 5:00 pm. Any team not showing up will be issued a forfeit. And any team that is short must play with fewer than 4 players if they are not present. No team will be allowed to play any player that is not registered. “Play what you got” rules apply.
- What is the Roster Size? There is a minimum of 4 skaters per team and a maximum of 6 skaters on each Roster. No goalies allowed. Games are 4-on-4. Players that are injured or cannot make a game cannot be replaced by another player. Teams may play fewer than 4.
- What equipment is required? At a minimum, a helmet is absolutely required. A facial cage or visor is strongly recommended. Other protective equipment is allowed and encouraged such as shin guards, hockey gloves, etc. It is wise to wear shin guards due to inadvertent sticks, and also possible falls due to cracks – common in pond hockey. No goalie equipment will be permitted and in the event of an injury, that player will not be replaced by a non-rostered player.
- How many games will our team play? Each team will play a minimum of four games with three of those games being on Saturday. Remember, these are 30-minute running clock games on smaller ice.
- Can we play Golf or try Curling? Yes. Curling is free and golf is half price for registered hockey players — regular price is $25. Just plan ahead for your tee times as it could sell out. You need to have 3 clubs to take on the course and are available for rent in the pro shop at Silver Birches.
- What happens when a puck goes into a snowbank, or out of play? If a team knocks the puck out of the rink (as an errant pass or stray shot), they lose possession. The rink monitor will reset the puck by giving the opposite team the puck near where it went out. Any doubts can result in a faceoff. If snow banks are inside of rink of play, a player can dig it out quickly. Anything that takes a while to find, then the puck may be restarted by the player digging out the puck, with a full 2 Stick length distance setback by the defenders.
- Do we really shovel snow? Yes, it’s part of the game in pond hockey. The Ice is shoveled by the team that begins ensuing play. Consider this a warm-up, and the better you clear the ice, the better the quality of your ice conditions. All payers on your team should rotate the shoveling duties.
Anthracite Curling Club Demonstrations
The Anthracite Curling Club will be giving free demonstrations at the north end near the Boat House. See the Pros play a few ends or try your hand at sliding a few stones yourself. The Scranton Curling Club formed in February 2006 with the purpose of teaching the Olympic sport of curling to the residents of NEPA. Curling is a lifetime sport that can be enjoyed by people ages 5 to 105!
26th Annual Ice Tee Golf Tournament
The Chamber of the Northern Poconos, with its 26th Annual Ice Tee Golf Tournament is part of this popular weekend-long festival. Two 9-hole challenging courses will be created on Lake Wallenpaupack at the Palmyra Township Public Beach area, complete with tree-lined fairways, greens, water traps, obstacles, and roughs. Golfers will receive a colored golf ball plus a scorecard and map illustrating the course layout, and each participant is restricted to playing with two clubs and one putter.
Tee times will begin at 11 am until 2 pm on Saturday and 9 am until 2 pm on Sunday. “Green Fees” are a non-refundable donation of $20 per person in advance; $25 on the day of the event. 9 holes of golf atop frozen Lake Wallenpaupack. For golfers of all ages & abilities. “Fore” more information or to register online, visit www.northernpoconoschamber.com. Spectators are welcome at all events. See the spectacular collections of tee-box signs provided by Sculpted Ice Works/Crystal Cabin Fever at the Ice Tee Golf Course at Silver Birches Resort, where an Ice Bar can be found on the deck at The Dock.
- From Scranton and Points West: Take I-84 East to Exit 20 (formerly #6), to Rt. 507. Turn left at end of exit ramp towards Lake Wallenpaupack. The Boat House is located approximately 10 miles on the left.
- From Milford And Points East: Take I-84 West to Exit 30 (formerly #8), to Rt. 402. Turn right at end of exit ramp towards Rt. 6. Turn left onto 6 West then turn left at light onto Rt. 507. The Boat House is located approximately 1/2 miles from the light on the right.
- From Mt. Pocono and Points South: Take Rt. 191 North to Rt. 507 towards Lake Wallenpaupack. The Boat House is located approximately 10 miles on the left.
Stunning Lake Wallenpaupack
Lake Wallenpaupack is a man-made lake built in 1926 covering 5,700 acres and 13 miles in length with 52-miles of uninterrupted shoreline. Offering activities are as far-reaching as its shoreline, Lake Wallenpaupack has six public recreation areas featuring hundreds of acres of forest lands, wildlife, walking trails, campsites and boat slips. Outfitters also offer kayaks, water skiing, wakeboarding, jet skis and boats to help you make the most of your experience.
Partner with The Best Lake Wallenpaupack REALTOR® – Alicia Kowalik
From rustic cabins and houses on private gravel roads to new construction homes to gorgeous, multi-million dollar lakefront homes with breathtaking views, top Lake Wallenpaupack REALTOR® – Alicia Kowalik can help you find the ideal home or property for your specific requirements and lifestyle. Call today! (570) 470-5076
Whether you are in the market to invest in Lake Wallenpaupack real estate or thinking about selling your current property, experience matters most in a changing market. For sellers, your agent should know how to act swiftly and decisively to get you the highest price. Top Lake Wallenpaupack REALTOR® – Alicia Kowalik will get your property SOLD — getting you the best market price in the least amount of time possible.
For buyers, Alicia will uncover the right property based on your specific criteria in a home and help facilitate a smooth and successful transaction. By partnering with Alicia, you’ll be able to navigate the real estate market with confidence, knowing that you are making the best possible decisions on your Lake Wallenpaupack real estate investment.